Nathan Baker wrote:

/ ...

> Is there a relatively painless way to wrap data and pass them to Ruby
> in such a way that these data can then be serialized over the network?

One option that sacrifices some speed in exchange for robustness is to wrap
arbitrary binary data in a CDATA block within an XML data stream.

This requires that the data be parsed, and it is slower than some other
approaches, but it plays nice with a lot of the present infrastructure that
understands XML database content.

I assume you are speaking of a data block with no particular structure --
data that might be a raw binary stream. If the data could be expressed in
plain-text, I would suggest something different.

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.arachnoid.com