On Wed, 13 Dec 2006, David Vallner wrote:

> Clark Snowdall wrote:
>> I am developing a SOAP server running on a Windows XP machine.  When
>> contacted from the outside, it will launch a windows executable at the
>> command line.  The problem is this executable takes a long time.  When I
>> would block on the SOAP call I would get a time out error on the client
>> end, as one would expect.
>
> How are you launching that process?
>
> system() or `` are Bad Ideas, IO.popen should do what you need.

why would say that?  IO.popen and more than one thread is a disaster on
windows: if the parent doesn't read from the process fast enough one will end
up with deadlock.

regards.

-a
--
if you find yourself slandering anybody, first imagine that your mouth is
filled with excrement.  it will break you of the habit quickly enough. - the