I am guessing the (0) in close(0) refers to the number of the book that
is open, which could mean that if you had a book open and you open a new
book, then this will fail.

try close("SomeFile.xls") and let me know if that works. I know from the
VBA that you could refer to the book by using the filename as the reference.
the all open workbooks lie in a collection hence the need for a reference.

it's been a long time since I have done any VBA, which is a good thing!
ivor