Giles Bowkett wrote:
> Is it the Perl-y $: thing that gives it its magic special sauce?
Yup. $: == $LOAD_PATH == the list of directories Ruby looks in when you
do a require. FWIW, $" == $LOADED_FEATURES == the list of files (ruby
and .so) that have been require'd.

 > Also,
> couldn't the Regexp part work just as well without the Config stuff,
> because of the minimal likelihood of a non-gem having that string in
> its path?
I was just trying to be a little robust. It just expands to
/usr/local/lib or c:/prog/ruby/lib or whatever. *Very* unlikely that
that path would contain a regex metacharacter that needs escaping, too,
but what the hell. Yeah, you certainly could do:
$:.map{|s|s=~%r{ruby/gems/1.8/gems/([^/]+)/lib$};$1}.compact.uniq

> Actually, wait a minute -- the app also uses ImageMagick, but that
> didn't show up here.
You might not have triggered the loading of the code that actually
depends on it. ActiveSupport overrides const_missing so you need not
require everything. (At least, for... I blogsumed that the feature is
being deprecated, or at least limited to your own rb files.)

Devin