Hi there,

I'm trying to get amaroK installed on my minimalist Slackware 10.2
machine.  I know: "minimalist" and "amaroK" might not be intuitively
concurrent.  Still, I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Of the three mandatory dependencies, I have two successfully installed:
kdelibs (required installing qt) and taglib.  Ruby, though, is giving
me fits during installation.

Here's the error that kills things:

"/home/muraii/temp/ruby-1.8.5-p2/lib/fileutils.rb:1239:in `copy':
unknown file type: ./.ext/. (RuntimeError)"

I've googled the hell out of it, but can only seem to find one person
who's <a href
="http://www.artima.com/forums/flat.jsp?forum=123&thread=186273">publicized
readline and then copied a resultant readline.bundle file into the Ruby
install directory.  I suppose the installing architecture is a bit
different on OS X, that person's machine, from Linux, as I only manage
to make a readline.so file (or that's the only one that looks
important), which I copied to /usr/local/lib/ alongside the ruby
executable in /usr/local/bin.  Nothing.

Ruby installed into /usr/local/bin/, and responds to "$ ruby -v"; but
when I type only "$ ruby", it hangs.  I don't imagine it's properly
installed.

I've already got some readline libraries installed, so I'm not sure
what this one has to do with anything.  I know I could likely just grab
a package from linuxpackages, but I'd prefer to go manual here.

Anyone have any experience or thoughts?

Thanks,

Daniel