Patrick,

I read into it, and it looks like you never connect htmlview and document.
 If you add this somewhere after document is created, I would think it
would help... I'm not sure of the syntax on this one, given that the
article you referenced seems to do things just slightly differently.  I
assumed the underscore, just because it's Ruby, but I could be wrong...

htmlview.set_document(document)

I even read through all the code this time, and feel that this is a valid
suggestion :)

Hope this works!

-trevor