On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Oct 2001, Maik Schmidt wrote:
> > Did anybody check out this new cool VM that will created for the next
> > generation of Perl (and maybe for Python, too). It is called Parrot
> > and you can find anything about it under www.parrotcode.org. The VM
> > was built with dynamic scripting languages like Perl, Python, Tcl and
> > Ruby in mind and its architecture is very interesting in my opinion,
> > because it is not stack-oriented, but works as a hardware CPU does.
>
> Parrot, the lower-level half of Perl 6.x, is designed Perl in mind, with
> some vague pythonishness if you smoke a J before looking at it.

Yes, thats my impression also from reading the design docs att
parrotcode.org.

> Of course you can make Ruby fit in Parrot like you can make it fit in the
> JVM: after all, hundreds of interpreters and compilers have been written
> for the JVM. But Ruby would feel much more at home in a
> SmallTalk/Lisp VM.

I agree. And apart from being a closer match to Ruby's pure-OO model the
Smalltalk/Lisp communities have simply been working longer on the problem
of executing-dynamically-typed-oo-languages than the Perl/Python (and
Ruby!) communities so have assmbled more experience, have more advanced
techniques etc.

I still think we should watch the Parrot/Perl6VM efforts simply
because the have lots of interest => lots of resources (folks) => much
good things might come out of it.

Note that I'm not very familiar with low-level Perl and Python though so
I may be wrong (about the match to Ruby).

BTW, I've posted some follow-up questions to Gilad Bracha (the AVM
developer). I'll be back if/when he answers.

Regards,

Robert