------art_151478_9587708.1165842139360

I would do somethink like:

a  ile.open("name_of_file")
whole_file  .inject("") {|s,e| s+e}
a.close

That injects into "" each line of a, thus giving you a long string
whole_file.

However, if you are doing stuff *line by line* you had better do sth like

a  ile.open("name_of_file")
a.each do |line|
  YOUR STUFF WITH line
end
a.close

For example, you want to count the number of lines where the word "foo"
appears

a  ile.open("myfile")
count
a.each do |line|
  count +  if line /foo/
end
a.close

count has now that value.

Though I am not an expert, so listen to more people.

Pedro.