On Sun, 21 Oct 2001, Maik Schmidt wrote:
> Did anybody check out this new cool VM that will created for the next
> generation of Perl (and maybe for Python, too). It is called Parrot
> and you can find anything about it under www.parrotcode.org. The VM
> was built with dynamic scripting languages like Perl, Python, Tcl and
> Ruby in mind and its architecture is very interesting in my opinion,
> because it is not stack-oriented, but works as a hardware CPU does.

Parrot, the lower-level half of Perl 6.x, is designed Perl in mind, with
some vague pythonishness if you smoke a J before looking at it.

Of course you can make Ruby fit in Parrot like you can make it fit in the
JVM: after all, hundreds of interpreters and compilers have been written
for the JVM. But Ruby would feel much more at home in a
SmallTalk/Lisp VM.

(Still, take what I say with a grain of salt.)

Mathieu Bouchard                   http://hostname.2y.net/~matju