On Sun, Oct 21, 2001 at 11:34:16PM +0900, Avdi B. Grimm wrote:
> the works besides that one?  Has anyone considered doing a Ruby port of
> "Thinking Like a Computer Scientist"?  I've only glanced over it, but it
> seems like a good intro to programming; and it's already available in (I

I glanced over one as well (the C++ one) and it looked like the usual
list of language features explained one after another, with very
little concerning ``how to think'' or what to use them for.  That is,
yet another learn-a-language rather than learn to program.  Was I
mistaken completely and is it worth a closer look?

By the way, the nicest and most unconventional book I found is
``Industrial strength programming'' (www.relisoft.com).  It uses C++
but it is really about programming, and suitable to even those who
don't have much programming background and don't know a bit of C.
Definitely the kind of book I wish that existed for every programming
language.

Massimiliano