------art_82628_31468053.1165675639051

Why oh why are you even mentioning PHP? Do you not know of Rails? It will
make your life a ton simpler, trust me.

As for the design question, you can check out the BackgrounDrb plugin for
Rails; I can't remember if it does cron-like jobs, but I think it does.
Otherwise, a system cron would work ok as long as the only method of
communication between the front-end and back-end is the database, otherwise
it starts getting very hairy if you're passing data around through files or
pipes at different times.

BackgrounDrb: http://backgroundrb.rubyforge.org/

Jason