On 12/7/06, Tim Pease <tim.pease / gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/7/06, Sam Smoot <ssmoot / gmail.com> wrote:
> > (I hope you don't mind a bit of cross-posting, but seeing as how the
> > news hasn't seemed to made it here yet...)
> >
> > Just thought you guys might like the opportunity to show your support.
> > Even if you haven't heard of Rubinius, or even think it all that
> > worthy, Evan's done some pretty impressive stuff with Ruby (Sydney for
> > one), and been pretty generous with his contributions to the community.
> >
> > Geoffrey Grosenbach (of NubyOnRails and PeepCode fame) has put up $1000
> > towards Rubinius development. You can read more about it at
> > NubyOnRails:
> >
> > http://nubyonrails.topfunky.com/articles/2006/12/06/peepcode-screencasts-places-a-1-000-bet-on-rubinius
> >
> > I love this whole "call to arms" community thing in Ruby. Maybe we
> > could try and break the record set by the Rails Documentation
> > fund-raiser. :-)
> >

> I've been wanting to ask this question for a while now, so here goes.
> Is the Rubinius C API compatible with the Ruby 1.8.5 C API? I'm just
> wondering if things like RMagick will work with Rubinius (not to
> mention my own library wrappers).

This brings up a really good point. Maybe this is when we should start
considering the use of generic wrappers line RubyInline more
seriously. If RubyInline implemented Rubinius support then we would
have the beginnings of a portable C API because of the automatic
wrapping it does. Just a thought. Of course, I would also like to see
an official revamp of the dl library as well.

Brian.