Hello --

On Sun, 21 Oct 2001, Chris Olive wrote:

> I just learned about Ruby two days ago, and spent all day Friday
> learning it.  It's TOTALLY KILLER...  I thought I liked Perl...  WOW.
> This has me swimming.  Not to mention that I've never really soaked
> myself into anything OO -- no time.  Well, I made the time, and this is
> awesome.  I'm already extending base classes for some really elegant and
> quick solutions...  OO is cool too.
>
> Anyway, enough of the accolades, well deserved though they are.  Way to
> go Matz...

Welcome to Ruby!  I had just about exactly the same experience, just
about exactly a year ago.  And I'm here to tell you that, a year
later, it's still an awesome language.

> $ perl -e 'while (<>) { if (/^\d/) { print "Starts with digit\n" } else
> { print "Nope\n" } }'

You could do:

$ ruby -we 'while gets; puts(/^\d/ && "Starts with digit" || "Nope"); end'

or if you want to give your fingers more exercise (and see a couple of
other little Ruby things in action):

$ ruby -we 'while gets; puts begin if /^\d/ then "Starts with digit" \
            else "Nope" end end end'

You could also use the ternary operator ( a? b : c), but personally I
always think that looks like C or Perl being written in Ruby.

David

--
David Alan Black
home: dblack / candle.superlink.net