    Jimmy> I'm considering teaching a young person (13-year-old) how
    Jimmy> to program using Ruby.  Has anybody tried to do this?  Are
    Jimmy> there any resources?  I remember when Python was new there
    Jimmy> were people discussing how they were teaching their
    Jimmy> children how to program, so if any of you have done that,
    Jimmy> it would be a great resource to me.

    David> Have a look at Pete McBreen's RubyConf presentation.  He
    David> talked about that.  Hmmm... I don't have the Web address
    David> handy, but Chad Fowler posted it here some time yesterday.
    David> Nor am I sure how much child- related material made it to
    David> the Web version, but have a look and see.

During the discussion of Pete's talk at RubyConf, the idea of turtle
graphics for Ruby came up.  I played around with this idea During
OOPLSA and came up with some initial code and managed to demo it
during the Ruby Birds of a Feather talk.  Essentially, it will allow
you to do stuff like the following (in irb)...

  require 'turtleworld'
  turtle = world.new_turtle
  turtle.pendown
  4.times { turtle.forward(100); turtle.right }

The above code will draw a square box in a graphical window (currently
a TK canvas object).

Kids can learn about OO and programming as they try to teach the
turtle to draw different kinds of patterns and geometrical shapes.
This is similar to the curriculum used in elementary schools to teach
kids about programming in LOGO.  (My kids did the LOGO curriculum in
elementary school, until the board decided that the computer classes
should be used to teach kids more than how to draw pretty shapes
... sigh).

I'll clean up the code and publish it this evening.