The bottom line seems to be that the current crop of Ruby programmers
are responsible enough not to mess with things under the hood unless
they understand the workings.

Is this an accurate assessment?

What scares me a bit is when Ruby becomes extremely popular and every
second programmer is using it, and less-disciplined developers start
providing libraries that tinker with core classes willy-nilly. At some
point you are going to get clashes between two same-named add-on methods
in (say) Array, that do different things <shudder>. That could be fun to
debug.

Sure, you can decide not to use such a library, but you have to get
burned first before you realize it's not good to use. I'm probably
showing my age here, but I remember cases where people used to code
macros in C header files (like MIN and MAX) that would clash with other
uses of MIN and MAX and cause untold havoc. Some of these were from
mainstream companies.

It's one thing to say "What if I'm stupid?". It's quite another thing to
say, "What if lots of stupid/undisciplined people start using Ruby?"
This tends to be the price of language popularity, I fear.

Probably, evolutionary forces will get rid of the poorly designed
libraries in time. I'm more worried about the beleaguered corporate IT
developer who often does not have much choice and has to use in-house
code.

I dunno. Thoughts?