Paul Lutus wrote:
> nephish wrote:
>
> > Lo there all.
> >
> > I have been giving some thought to moving to SQLite from MySQL. We are
> > moving our site from php to rails for what we call "the big rewrite"
> > and since these changes are going on. I really like that SQLite is
> > stored in flat files that can easily be moved around, like from one
> > computer to a backup computer.
>
> FWIW, MySQL also can create portable flat files, if that is how you have set
> up your database. I have a rather large set of databases for various
> purposes, and I can easily export them all into a convenient, plain-text,
> flat file format. This depends on what sort of database you have, whether
> it exploits advanced database features.
>
> Also, MySQL's native database format is also quite portable, without taking
> any conversion steps.
>
> This is only one observation, it doesn't address any of your other
> discussion points.
>
> --
> Paul Lutus
> http://www.arachnoid.com

i have used the export feature to create some portable files, but they
take so long to import into another db. One of my tables is 1.5 gig
i had also had some trouble moving the three files per table in one
database to another computer and having it recognized as a ligit table.
Maybe i was doing something wrong. I don't know of another way for
mysql to create a flat file that i could transfer to another computer,
or backup or whatever.

please let me know if i am missing somethiing, and thanks for your
time, Paul.
sk