> The stock Windows version does not by default have Ruby installed. I
believe
> that the "fat" version (gvim_ole) appears to have support for the DLL
> versions of Perl, Python, (and TCL?) but not Ruby (apparently because of
> issues with the DLL support in Ruby). I have no idea what it would take to
> compile Ruby in with the Win32 version (I suspect you'd need the same
> compiler for both Vim and Ruby, but am not sure). I don't use Windows
enough
> to care.

I can answer to this.
It is extremely easy to do it and the real reason while it is not included
is unclear
although I think it was because of the confusion concerning the windows
distribution.
The fact that several exists and that you would have to require a specific
one from the
users in order for them to take advantage of it.  I don't really think that
those reason
are really valable but the recent threads (which died of boredom...) about
ruby on
windows shows that the state of ruby on win32 if effectively not clear.  In
any case
to compile it with mingw32 (the only compiler I used since cygwin doesn't
compile
the win32 gui, vc++ is paying and I didn't even try bcc) is really easy, you
just uncomment
a couple of lines in the makefile and set the path to your ruby install and
you are set.
It works like a charm.
Benoit
PS:
VIM is great, you should give it a try.
PPS:
emacs is bad for your health, the key combination makes knots with your
fingers ;-)