> > (btw, X is over a network, how's that on ``native''? :)
>
> Well, it is true that X is over _sockets_.
>
> _sockets_ allow programs to interoperate on a same machine. Now _sockets_
> may be over a _network_ (e.g. a TCP/IP one), in which case you usually
> still can reach your own machine. Anyway, by default, X11 is used
> locally on plain local sockets (e.g. Unix Domain).
>
> Performance-wise, on average, X11 sockets are faster than equivalent
> Win32 system-calls, which in turn is faster than X11-on-Win32. That is
> when plain Xlib is used (I don't claim that "RubyX11" is any fast.)
>
> But -- I'm not sure what you think is funny here.

native == speed, but networking (in whatever way) is an extra layer !=
speed. Apparently, I'm wrong. Sometimes, being wrong is better.

Second, one app can run on >1 display. Remote displays.

> > How this relates to interoperability, I don't know. There is not much
> > interoperability in an X server, except perhaps receiving some labeled
> > stuff from a clipboard. Oh, and you can talk to the window manager, of
> > course :)
>
> Each Window has a property Hash in which Clients can store and read
> arbitrary data. Clients may get notified about changes in those
> hashes. If this is overkill, then you can send user-events to windows.

Sounds like I need to read some documentation.

> If instead you need interoperation with another program through feature
> FOO of window-system BAR then you may check whether X11 servers for BAR
> implement interoperability with the equivalent X11 plugin/subprotocol. If
> not, then you can say "I won't use X11 because X11-on-BAR doesn't support
> FOO".
>
> But -- I'm not sure what you think is funny here.

Window managers are NOT exchangable. There are simply too many of them
and some of them do not implement everything or behave well in
``regular'' cases.

> > Upon that, Mathieu, I don't think I need access to the entire X
> > server. A Colormap event does not seem very interesting to me.
>
> patch below.

that's funny.

|  Don't split your mentality without thinking twice       |
|                          Proud like a God -- Guano Apes  |
+--- M38c ------- http://members.chello.nl/~k.vangelder ---+