On Dec 2, 2006, at 1:50 PM, Ross Bamford wrote:

> Assuming that the base64 encoding was done to cope with UTF8 in the
> source, is there no way we can improve the distribution situation?

Here's what I said to Fred on the subject:

"I'm guessing we could get radical and read incoming emails with an
email library, then use that to compose a sensical Usenet post.  That
way we could pull the text section of a multipart/alternative
message.  Attachments are trickier and I guess we would have to
inline them.  That would work for simple Ruby scripts, but it gets
more complicated when someone posts something like a zipped archive
file.

There would still be situations it couldn't handle, but maybe we
could reduce them.  This sure sounds like work though.  ;)

I'm considering making the Gateway code public now that I have
rewritten it.  Maybe this will encourage enterprising souls to hack
on it a bit for features like this."

We just need to remember that we are joining two worlds with
different rules here.

James Edward Gray II