People just posted about RuEdit and VIM using
Ruby for internal scripting... I haven't looked at
these yet, but I heartily approve of the idea.

I was thinking just the other day that this is a
major benefit of Ruby's reflection... it's easy in
a Ruby app to take a user string and execute it,
even integrating it into the app.

One use of this I've thought of is to use actual
Ruby expressions in submitting a search to a
search engine... regular expressions and so on,
even array/string methods.

A more elegant use is to configure or extend a
complex app... for example, imagine a Ruby
email client (something I've been imagining
lately) where you can write your own spam filter
and filing rules (a la Outlook) in Ruby.

Hmm, I don't think we have a Ruby mail client
yet, do we? :) Someone want to change that?
Maybe one with user-selectable GUI, as long
as I'm dreaming?

Hal