Morton Goldberg wrote:
> On Dec 1, 2006, at 7:22 PM, Edwin Fine wrote:
>
>> /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/tk.rb:1187: warning: instance
>> variable
>> @encoding not initialized
>>
>> Is it something I am doing wrong, or some other problem? I don't know
>> much about Tcl/Tk.
>
> I'd look into this, but you aren't giving enough info for me to have
> a clue as to how to reproduce it.
>
> OTOH, since it's only a warning, it probably OK to let it go for now
> unless you're seeing visible problems such as bad graphic output.
> I've seen a number of harmless warnings both from Ruby/Tk and Tk
> itself before.
>
> Regards, Morton

Sorry I didn't provide more information earlier; I kind of assumed that
other people would have got the warnings, too. Although the warnings are
in fact harmless, and the graphics appear to be just fine, it's a bit
annoying when you get 27,690 warnings (that's right: 27 thousand plus
warnings). These consisted of the following two warnings:

/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/tk.rb:2313: warning: redefine encoding=
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/tk.rb:2316: warning: redefine encoding

followed by 27,688 repetitions of this warning:

/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/tk.rb:1187: warning: instance variable @encoding not
initialized

All I did was run this command line:

ruby turtle_viewer.rb samples/tree.rb

The warnings occur for any run of turtle_viewer.rb.

Here's my Ruby version:

ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [x86_64-linux]

I'm running this on Ubuntu Edgy x86-64. But I get the same warning when
I run on a 32-bit RHEL3 system using Ruby 1.8.5, too.

I can't post my code (yet) because of the 48-hour deadline, but I can
tell you that it does not have the word "encoding" anywhere in it :)

I'll investigate further. I was just wondering if anyone else saw this.
Thanks.