Hi --

On Sat, 2 Dec 2006, Paul Lutus wrote:

> Blake Miller wrote:
>
>>> Posting bits and pieces of code, but never a short working example, is a
>>> sure way to assure that this thread will go on forever.
>
>> Why can't it be a string, I can use whatever I want to identify an
>> object.
>
> 1. I can see why this thread goes on so long -- instead of meeting my
> request, you just changed the subject.

Paul, could you please stop being so confrontational?  Your standards
are no higher than those of a lot of very accomplished programmers,
authors, and teachers on this list who do not find it necessary or
productive (neither of which it is) to adopt the kind of unpleasantly
didactic -- or, at many times, simply unpleasant -- tone that you
favor.

It seems to me that you might well have interesting things to say
about Ruby and programming in general, but right now they're smothered
in a mass of hostile, judgmental rhetoric.  My advice would be just to
jettison it.  If you want someone to clarify something, just ask them
what they meant.  Don't add a lecture about their behavior.
Similarly, if you think someone has done something inadvisable, just
say so.  Don't start with, "What? You did THAT?!" (or equivalent).

Thanks --

David

--
                   David A. Black | dblack / wobblini.net