Paul Lutus wrote:
> Blake Miller wrote:
>
>>   @components << component
>>  end
>>
>>  def component(uniqueId) # note: uniqueId is a string
>
> What? "uniqueId" is string? It cannot be a string, it has to be an ID,
> something gotten with ".object_id", nothing else will do. And two
> strings
> with the same content do not necessarily have the same ID.
>
> In your method "uniqueId", you should be returning "self.object_id".
>
> In your code, I do not see where you acquire the ".object_id" of any
> object.
>
> Very basically, in order to solve a problem like this, you simply must
> post
> a short, terse, concise bit of code, that (1) can be run by a newsgroup
> reader, and (2) shows the problem.
>
> Posting bits and pieces of code, but never a short working example, is a
> sure way to assure that this thread will go on forever.
Why can't it be a string, I can use whatever I want to identify an
object.  Now, if you're saying it's not possible to compare two strings,
then I'd see your point.  I can't make the code any simpler without
sacrificing understanding of what I'm trying to accomplish.  It's very
simple, each component has an id, a unique id, that I assign to it,
which is a string, and is unique (I'll enforce that later).  I have an
array of these components, and I want to search that array given a
string to find the matching component by id.