Kevin Smith wrote:

> I think Swing has solved the look issue pretty well by
> need to keep up with the latest OS's, but are there other
> problems?

Yes.  How is Swing ever going to support native look on the *nix variants?
Even Windows has (extremely primative) styling hacks, but this is much
worse under something like KDE, where the widget look (and feel) is
user-definable.  This is why Swing applications never look like native apps
on Linux; Swing only provides Motif (which nobody uses) and Metal (which
doesn't look like any native UI).

> Interoperability is a different issue. Java seems to do
> reasonably well with drag-and-drop. Not sure about other
> issues.

I think this is the most difficult issue.  Interoperability is much more
than just drag-n-drop; it is the whole mechanism by which the application
interacts with the window manager and the integrated desktop.  However,
this is more than just a GUI issue.

> For me, the portability is key. And I just want the darned
> thing to work (unlike AWT). I'll settle for occasional
> minor differences in behavior compared to native apps, if I
> can have it run everywhere.

Yes, this is the ideal.  However, it is extremely application-centric.
While there are many cases where a user uses a computer for exactly one
application, more often, the application is one of many that the user uses.
As application developers, we like to have our applications run everywhere,
but the best experience for the user is to have well-integrated
applications.  This isn't a trivial point.  If an application doesn't blend
well with a user's environment, most commonly, the user will choose instead
an application that does.

--- SER