Hi everyone,

Thanks for responding to this post. Here's a recap of what's going on:

I had no problems with the open() call for almost two days, but then
suddenly it stopped working. I have no problems with my internet
connection and the site I want to reach is definitely up. I've tried
this test from three difeerent locations with the same result.

Regarding Eric Hodel's question, I'm not sure if I am behind a proxy (or
firewall for that matter). How can I find out?

Also, are there other ways of testing something like this in Ruby? Will
it help to upgrade to 1.8.5?

Thanks again.