On 01.12.2006 10:42, Andrew Stewart wrote:
> Hello,
>
>>  Here is my question. I have a laptop and I run a ruby/rails based web
>> brick server which serves up html pages. I have emailed people a way to
>> access this webserver through a URL that looks sort of like:
>>
>>  http://201.120.126.203:1000/
>>
>> I could be at a public library on a wireless connection, and as long as
>> my web server is running, people can get to my website. I figured out
>> the url through ipconfig. However, now I have a wireless router in my
>> condo, so my laptop is wireless through the router. The url I used
>> before doesn't work, and of course ipconfig shows a generic intranet or
>> whatever ip address for my local area network. Is there anyway I can
>> still have someone get to my website on my laptop ?
>>
>> I suppose I could unplug the router and plug the laptop in if I want to
>> show someone something particular, but the cable modem seems to take a
>> while to reset and doing it like that of course is kind of a pain
>> anyway.
>
> Yes, it can be done so don't give up :)
>
> You need to know your external IP address -- depending on your ISP it
> may always be the same or it may change each time you connect.  This
> site[1] will tell you what it is at any given time.  That'll make up the
> URL you can give people.

Dynamic DNS is much better - you need a domain though.

> You need to configure your router to accept requests from the outside
> world to port 80 and forward them to port 1000 on your laptop's local IP
> address.  This is called 'port forwarding'.

Frankly I would not do that.  I'd rather use any arbitrary other port -
for security reasons.  Port 80 is the first one an attacker will try.

> You need to make sure your router's administration web interface (if it
> has one) is not running on port 80 -- this has caught me out in the
> past.  If it is, move it to a different port.

Well, no need for that if a different port is used.  Also, since the
router can distinguish where the request comes from (LAN or WAN) and you
do not want someone from the outside to access your router's admin
interface it might actually work to have both on port 80.  This depends
on the router though.

> Finally, you need to open up port 1000 on your laptop's own firewall, if
> it has one.  It sounds like you don't need to do this because you've had
> it working in the library.

	robert