Hello out there,
it's a nasty traite of mine that, whenever i see something new and
opensource and i evaluate it, i speak some sentences bout my impressions.
usually im quite hated for that.
my 2 cents bout what i know so far bout ruby:

hot stuff!
ive been writing years of java and some months in perl, but howdi, never
before programming was so funny =)

its a great combination of smalltalk and perl, and i could kiss Jan Arne
for writing JRuby, making it possible to include ruby into java whenever
possible =)

i dont know if you know that, but whenever i came back from perl to java
and had to do something like selecting some portions of an array, or
splitting a string into an array, or something like that.. i always get
that "raaaaaaaah!"-expression on my face, wanting to shoot java on the
moon. java is a great language, but the relatively clumsyness in basic
types (int is native, BigInteger is clumsy and immuteable...), i just wish
i could use perl.
now ive got ruby, and thanks to jan i can include it into java (Which did
not work about perl for any os thout troubles).

perl flies to trash (took me quite a while to learn it neatly...), thanks
for creating such a cool language =)

regards,
nick
--
If you wish to live wisely, ignore sayings -- including this one.