I'm having the same problem as Jeff. I tried your solution, and now
when I do a require "win32/service" it works, however, I need
win32-service in order to install mongrel, yet when trying to install
win32-service from gem I get the same error message Jeff got.

I'm a total ruby noob, so I'm not quite sure about the whole C compiler
- where to get one - what to do with it, why I would need that and how
that makes this error go away?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!