Peter Bailey wrote:

/ ...

> That did it! Here's what I did. I need to not just turn the hyphen into
> range dots, but, I also need to get rid of any commas and stuff between
> input entries.
> ARGV.each do |f|
>   f = f.gsub(/-/, "..")
>   f = f.gsub(/,/, "")
>   puts f
> end
>
> So, here's my input:
>   test1.rb im145000-145004, im145006, im145009

Are you putting those commas in there? This is not a good idea. It's not a
good idea because someone will get the notion that they can use the commas
and not put in the spaces, and that changes everything.

For command-line arguments, this:

xxxxx yyyyy zzzzz

is not at all equal to this:

xxxxx,yyyyy,zzzzz

I think you need to decide what input format you want to allow. If you
don't, your program won't be able to separate the arguments in a way that
you expect.

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.arachnoid.com