James Edward Gray II wrote:

> My biggest request:  a sane way (read: not-cron-like) to schedule
> events.  ;)
How about stealing from schtasks
(http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/schtasks.mspx?mfr=true)?
(ducks away and hides)
It doesn't have to be so convoluted.

Define the task like this

class ScheduledTask
   attr_reader :name,:schedule,:schedule_params
end

Schedule is one of :minute, :hourly, :daily, :weekly, :monthly, :yearly

then according to schedule you have different options.
Universal options:
:once to generate the event only once. It's not there, then we get repeats.
:start_time to define when to start counting. If you leave it undefined
the timer starts immediately. If you define it, it should be in the future.
interval (after x minutes/hours/days/weeks/months/years an event will be
generated. if once is defined it runs once x /whatever/ after start_time)

An option valid for weekly and monthly can be :day, where you can
specify the day of the week (1-7) or month (1-31).

Would that be simple enough?
Cheers,
V.-
--