Hi --

On Fri, 1 Dec 2006, Paul Lutus wrote:

>> Also, is the closing tag allowed to have whitespace between the
>> tag name and the ending bracket?
>>
>> E.g.  </body >
>
> Not syntactically correct, but the question might be "will it happen?" In
> which case the answer is "probably".

I believe it is actually legal.  In the XML 1.1 spec, an end-tag is:

   ETag   ::=   	'</' Name  S? '>'

(where S is any non-zero amount of whitespace, and ? indicates zero or
more of that), and if I'm reading the ISO 8859 roadmap in Neil
Bradley's "Concise SGML Companion" correctly, it's legal in SGML
generally.

David

--
                   David A. Black | dblack / wobblini.net