Dear Ruby-Community,

once again I think I found a (minor) flaw in ruby-mode.el. Though the
font locking (aka syntax highlighting) has improved a lot (in revision
1.34 and 1.35 compared to 1.2x) it still gets confused from time to
time.

Example(s):

class Test
   # ...
   def test1
      @instance_var.each do
         puts "test"
   def test2
      # a comment
      # ...
   end
   def Test.test3(arg)
   end
   # ...
end
test1:
   is a method w/o args and the next line begins with an '@'.
   This is not highlighted at load time, but when you type in that
line.

test2:
   is a method w/o/ args and the next line begins with a '#'.
   The '#' is highlighted as a keyword when the file is loaded,
   but becomes a comment when you type in that line.

test3:
   a class method.
   Is not highlighted.

Plus another thought (and hint to the emacs wizards): the matlab-mode
has a feature where the matching block-beginner is highlighted when
you stand on an 'end'-keyword. This is done using idle timer and I
looked at it but found it hard to create that behaviour for the
ruby-mode. It would be a nice to have, though.

One last thing: Is anybody interested in some xemacs skeletons and
auto-insert for ruby? Drop me a note, or I can post here...

Regards And Thanks
Stefan Kamphausen