On 11/30/06, Bob Hutchison <hutch / recursive.ca> wrote:

> On 30-Nov-06, at 12:09 PM, Wilson Bilkovich wrote:
>
> > On 11/30/06, Bob Hutchison <hutch / recursive.ca> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm getting a 'Segmentation fault' in ruby 1.8.5 running on debian in
> >> a Xen VPS. The same code running on OS X and a different version of
> >> linux has no problems.
> >>
> >> The process to get this is maybe a little strange.
> >>
> >> 1) read a large file into a string (1.3MB)
> >> 2) eval the string (the string is a single ruby proc definition that
> >> when called will build an object structure in memory)
> >> 3) call the proc --> Segmentation fault *very* soon after
> >>

> > Hrm. This looks similar to the problem reported here:
> > http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/80435
>
> Thanks for the link.
>
> Could be, but that thread kind of petered out. There were some others
> that I found that didn't seem to resolve. There was one in Japanese
> that I certainly could not follow :-)

Can you get a full stack trace from gdb or something?
I found a pile of other links by googling for 'unknown node type' that
seem to suggest that maybe some of your objects are getting
prematurely garbage collected.

Maybe the size of that method hits a Ruby threshold that triggers GC
inappropriately?

Try turning GC off; if that fixes it, that might help narrow it down.