Paul Lynch wrote:

> On 29 Nov 2006, at 20:09, Alex Ciarlillo wrote:
>
>> Okay I got some code working to login to the site Im interested in,
>> but
>> this led me to a new question. How can I keep this session alive once
>> logged in? After login I need to follow a link on the page in order to
>> start posting data to get my reports but I believe the connection is
>> closing as soon as it posts the login data. I think this requires a
>> stand alone http object which then processes each request but I havent
>> had any luck getting this code to work like that.
>
> At the risk of incurring the ire of another Paul :-),

No chance of that -- I have no emotional investment in that issue. In fact I
am starting to find it rather funny.

I tend to offer an alternative when a library causes more problems than it
solves, something that happens with surprising frequency.

In any case, I realized today I have been making a mistake. I've been
saying, "Why not write your own code?" This is like mentioning abortion to
a fundamentalist -- that's a bad idea, regardless of what one intends to
say about abortion.

So from now on, I will say, "Why not write your own library?" It's all the
same -- libraries are written using code, and the boundary between a piece
of code and a library is located as precisely as the boundary between
abortion and the rhythm method. It's not about reality, it's about avoiding
trigger words.

People who think outside the box don't care which words are used to describe
reality, but not everyone thinks outside the box.

This entire library/code issue is not only becoming rather funny, but it
possesses a huge element of irony, located as it is in a newsgroup for a
language that was written to get around the limitations of existing
libraries.

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.arachnoid.com