I am less than familiar with the subject of binding a language to
other resources, so I might be saying something laughable. If that is
the case, please be patient.

Is anybody acquainted with Borland Delphi/C++ Builder and its VCL
(Visual Component Library), formerly only running on Windows?  When
Kylix (Linux Delphi) was released, the VCL was renamed CLX and GPL'd.
It uses native widgets on Windows and GTK on Linux, plus whatever
extension one wants to write (in Object Pascal now, C++ when Kylix C++
will be released for Linux as well).  It is strongly OO and
event-oriented.  It looks like a good set of native look and feel,
efficiency, cross-platform use, and ruby-ness (unless I am forgetting
some very big cons).

Massimiliano