Jos Backus wrote:
>     Hi Dave,
>
> On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 05:35:13PM +0900, Dave Burt wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>

>>> As an aside: anyone have a port of Net::Ping they are willing to share? I'm
>>> trying to convert some code (and colleagues!) to Ruby and am running into the
>>> "missing libraries" issue...
>>>
>> Check the RAA (and Rubyforge).
>>
>> For ping, there is 'ping' in the standard library, and 'net/ping' on the
>> RAA ('gem install net-ping').
>>

> I'm aware of those but they lack some features the Perl version has. Notably
> ICMP support and returning timing information.

Well, there is PingExternal for ICMP support. ;)

Seriously, though, both would be good additions.
> It would also be nice for there to be a single Net::Ping class, just like the
> Perl version provides, wrapping/hiding the specialized classes. That seems
> like an easy addition.

The API was modelled after the current ping.rb in the standard library
to try to keep things consistant and more portable for anyone switching
from ping.rb to my net-ping module.  A factory pattern should be doable
if that's what folks want.  In practice, however, I don't see it as a
major issue, and probably not worth the API breakage.

Regards,

Dan