I'm trying to setup Ruby and some gems on a clean WinXP SP2 box, and I
can't install win32-service:

c:\dev>gem install win32-service

ERROR:  While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)
Gem files will remain installed in
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/win32-service-0.5.2 for inspection.

Results logged to
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/win32-service-0.5.2/gem_make.out

The gem_make.out file is actually just empty, so no help there.

I initially discovered this trying to install mongrel 0.13.3 (win32),
and saw that it was dying when it had to install win32-service as a
dependency.

i tried removing the win32-service.gem file from the gems cache
directory (as well as the gems folder itself) before reinstalling, but
that didn't help.

I've been able to install mongrel and win32-service on other windows
machines before, so it must be something about my environment, but I
can't figure out what.

When I say I have a "clean" machine, I mean a fresh install of WinXP
w/SP2, plus the Ruby OCI, plus the subversion client.  But that's
really all I've done to the image.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Jeff