> I think some 'stix would be a good way of doing the skull
> thing (especially if you want to keep the skulls mobile). They've
> got a reasonable amount of welly if you're not doing a lot of floating point.
>
> Do you know about the NSLU2? It's still small (size of a packet of
> smokes) but its a bit more versatile than a gumstix as it has 2 USB2.0
> ports. Debian runs on them these days, so you can probably have any
> apps you want.

well...I know that according to Google they're bigger than an apple
and smaller than a bottle of Pepsi.

http://fredericiana.com/uploads/thumb-nslu2-Size-In-Context.jpg

It does look handy. Actually looking at that vent brings to mind
another issue which might be off for either one of the hardware
options, which is that in the particular environment this is intended
for, corrosive alkaline dust is extremely ubiquitous. I was thinking I
might be able to get around this part with a really wanton misuse of
Saran Wrap, but I hadn't gone much further than that.

The big question I've got to work out is how to make the wand work. I
think beyond that the project is actually pretty straightforward.

--
Giles Bowkett
http://www.gilesgoatboy.org