--- Sean Russell <ser / germane-software.com> wrote:
> To this day I'm torn between the native vs. abstract GUI
> issue.  On one hand, having your application look like
and
> interoperate with with other native applications on the
user's
> desktop is extremely desireable.  On the other hand, it
isn't
> portable.  I vacillate between being a proponant of
> one or the other constantly.

I think Swing has solved the look issue pretty well by
using a variation of themes. FLTK 2.0 is supposed to
support themes as well, and I believe they'll include a
Win95-like theme. It does mean that the widget maintainers
need to keep up with the latest OS's, but are there other
problems?

Interoperability is a different issue. Java seems to do
reasonably well with drag-and-drop. Not sure about other
issues.

For me, the portability is key. And I just want the darned
thing to work (unlike AWT). I'll settle for occasional
minor differences in behavior compared to native apps, if I
can have it run everywhere.

Kevin