On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Sean Russell wrote:
> My only concern is speed.  Even with recent speed improvements, Swing is
> still noticably slower than native GUIs.  I'm afraid that a RubySwing GUI
> would be very slow.  The obvious benefit is (of course) portability.

I think Swing is doing some harm by giving the impression that a GUI
written in Java (and implicitly in any "slower" language) has to be
slow. Swing suffers from its incapacity to handle I/O properly. From what
I understand, Swing is full of lock-latency, event-ordering and
event-dispatch problems.

> To this day I'm torn between the native vs. abstract GUI issue.  On one
> hand, having your application look like and interoperate with with other
> native applications on the user's desktop is extremely desireable.  On the
> other hand, it isn't portable.  I vacillate between being a proponant of
> one or the other constantly.

Given the limitations of current toolkits that I suffer from, I'd go a
third way, restart from scratch on top of just X11. (but i have already
said that)

Mathieu Bouchard                   http://hostname.2y.net/~matju