I haven't used or investigated this, just remembered hearing about it
somewhere:

http://sis.cmis.csiro.au/svg/

From the front page:

The CSIRO SVG Toolkit is a collection of utilities that do various things
with Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) files. SVG is a language for describing
two-dimensional graphics in XML. It is currently being developed by the
World Wide Web Consortium - for more information consult the SVG page at the
W3C.

About the SVG Toolkit
The SVG Toolkit contains an SVG viewer, an implementation of the SVG DOM
(conforming to Document Object Model Level 2 ) and a utility for rendering
an SVG document into various image formats. It is written in Java and
requires Java 1.2 or higher (we develop using 1.3).

The toolkit is open-source and therefore freely available. The open-source
license that applies to the toolkit is based on the Apache license. Any
comments on the licensing are welcome (svg / cmis.csiro.au)

regards,

Martin