> My only concern is speed.  Even with recent speed improvements, Swing is
> still noticably slower than native GUIs.  I'm afraid that a RubySwing GUI
> would be very slow.  The obvious benefit is (of course) portability.

Crossbreed native UI and do the fancy stuff in Ruby.
Tk is partially implemented in Tcl.
And yes, my PDA looks for speed as well :)

Upon that, Mathieu, I don't think I need access to the entire X
server. A Colormap event does not seem very interesting to me.

(btw, X is over a network, how's that on ``native''? :)

> To this day I'm torn between the native vs. abstract GUI issue.  On one
> hand, having your application look like and interoperate with with other
> native applications on the user's desktop is extremely desireable.  On the
> other hand, it isn't portable.  I vacillate between being a proponant of
> one or the other constantly.

How this relates to interoperability, I don't know. There is not much
interoperability in an X server, except perhaps receiving some labeled
stuff from a clipboard. Oh, and you can talk to the window manager, of
course :)

|  Don't split your mentality without thinking twice       |
|                          Proud like a God -- Guano Apes  |
+--- M38c ------- http://members.chello.nl/~k.vangelder ---+