I guess I gave the right answer to the wrong question :)

I was really looking at the OP's words below when I posted:

Vidar Hokstad wrote:
>True, but the original poster indicated he's looking at a database
>backed web application. In that kind of environment, in all likelihood
>most of the execution time will be dictated by database speed and
>network performance.

Very likely, but you never know. It all depends on the application. I am
working on a "database-backed web application" that happens to be an
OLAP/data mart application, and in this, response time is dictated by
*everything*, including CPU.

I do agree with what you guys posted, especially that TCO and usability
should be the ultimate decision factors, especially the thought that
reskilling experienced ColdFusion developers in Ruby could be costly.

Still, I would also be interested in knowing what facilities exist in
Ruby app servers that are similar to the Java app server world (like app
scope, session scope, page scope etc.) I don't have any experience in
Ruby app servers. An earlier poster mentioned Nitro - maybe I should
read up on that.

I also remember reading a bit about "continuation" servers, which if I
recall correctly should address some of the OP's performance concerns.