Hi Mariano,

Interestingly, the program you've sent around works for me on my G4
Powerbook using Ruby 1.8.4 built using Fink (same stack size you quoted
as well) - however I see the same problems you've described when
running the script under Linux (Debian testing, Ruby 1.8.4) and on my
Intel iMac at home (same environment & compiler as the G4, just
different architecture).

Looks like it's a cross platform problem. Anyone have any ideas what
might be wrong or what other info we could send in to help diagnose it
with?

Cheers,

Marcus




Mariano Kamp wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    still not sure what the problem really is about. As nobody
> answered I assume this is something with my two described fresh
> installs?
>
>    Anyway ... What I found is that reducing the stack size from 8192
> to 4096 with "ulimit -s 4096" it works. I get the stacklevel too deep
> error.
>
>    Now I am wondering what the "right" value and why is nobody else
> hitting that wall?
>
> Cheers,
> Mariano
>
>
> On Nov 22, 2006, at 3:39 PM, Mariano Kamp wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> >   I encountered a strange problem.
> >
> >   When running "ruby soduku_test.rb -n test_next_cell" the process
> > hangs and eats up all of the assigned CPU . I have no idea why that
> > is ... I asked a friend to run it on windows and it does work
> > there. The program yield in a stack overflow.
> >
> >   I recently reinstalled my computer and used darwinports. I don't
> > think that I've seen that problem before. I also reinstalled ruby
> > again, but with not much success and the same thing happens on
> > another Mac too.
> >
> >   Installing ruby the way I used to do it before, using the
> > hivelogic tutorial, also didn't work.
> >
> >   That are the versions that fail:
> >
> >   ruby 1.8.5 (2006-08-25) [i686-darwin8.8.3] # darwin ports 1.3.1,
> > gcc 4.0
> >   ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [i686-darwin8.8.3] # directly from the
> > sources (hivelogic tutorial)
> >   ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [universal-darwin8.0] # comes with Tiger
> >
> >   Both Macs (MB C2D, MBP CD) are running OSX 10.4.8 with all updates.
> >
> >   uname -v:
> > Darwin Kernel Version 8.8.3: Wed Oct 18 21:57:10 PDT 2006;
> > root:xnu-792.15.4.obj~4/RELEASE_I386
> >
> >   A stack trace of the "working" run on Windows is below this mail.
> >
> >   I attached the code. Unfortunately I haven't been able to isolate
> > the problem, but at least the code consistently fails.
> >
> >   Any ideas? Can somebody please try it out on another Mac? I will
> > also do that later on.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Mariano
> >
> > <sudoku_test.rb>
> > <sudoku.rb>
> >
> >
> >  1) Error:
> > test_next_cell(SudokuTests):
> > SystemStackError: stack level too deep
> >     C:/dev/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/prettyprint.rb:344:in `deq'
> >     C:/dev/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/prettyprint.rb:343:in `deq'
> >     C:/dev/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/prettyprint.rb:171:in
> > `break_outmost_groups'
> >     C:/dev/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/prettyprint.rb:197:in `text'
> >     C:/dev/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/pp.rb:258:in `pretty_print_cycle'
> >     C:/dev/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/prettyprint.rb:224:in `group'
> >     C:/dev/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/prettyprint.rb:247:in `nest'
> >     C:/dev/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/prettyprint.rb:223:in `group'
> >     C:/dev/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/prettyprint.rb:235:in `group_sub'
> >     C:/dev/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/prettyprint.rb:222:in `group'
> >     [.. tons of repetition ]
> >     C:/dev/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/pp.rb:142:in `object_address_group'
> >     C:/dev/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/pp.rb:192:in `pp_object'
> >     C:/dev/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/pp.rb:249:in `pretty_print'
> >     C:/dev/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/pp.rb:126:in `pp'
> >     C:/dev/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/prettyprint.rb:224:in `group'
> >     C:/dev/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/prettyprint.rb:247:in `nest'
> >     C:/dev/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/prettyprint.rb:223:in `group'
> >     C:/dev/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/prettyprint.rb:235:in `group_sub'
> >     C:/dev/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/prettyprint.rb:222:in `group'
> >     C:/dev/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/pp.rb:126:in `pp'
> >     C:/dev/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/pp.rb:69:in `pp'
> >     C:/dev/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/pp.rb:105:in `guard_inspect_key'
> >     C:/dev/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/pp.rb:69:in `pp'
> >     sudoku_test.rb:53:in `test_next_cell'
> >
> > 6 tests, 23 assertions, 0 failures, 1 errors