Kevin Smith wrote:

> layout manager internals. Actually, if Ruby/FLTK could just
> have hbox and vbox as powerful as GTK, I'd be happy for my
> own uses.

Yeah, between those and a table-layout mechanism, you're good to go.

>> The toolkit I'd REALLY like to have is a all-Ruby gui
>> like Swing in Java  (but simpler and keeping with Ruby
>> philosophy).  I would imagine one could port another
> framework
>> into Ruby in a short period of time.
>
> Me too! One of my thoughts was that FLTK was cross platform
> and pretty low level, so it might be a good starting point.
> You're going to have to have _some_ library of C/C++ code
> below Ruby, so you
> could just rely on the primative parts of FLTK and roll the
> rest yourself. I would be interested in contributing to
> such a project.

Since FLTK is such a small project, basing a RubySwing implementation on it
would be a good idea.

My only concern is speed.  Even with recent speed improvements, Swing is
still noticably slower than native GUIs.  I'm afraid that a RubySwing GUI
would be very slow.  The obvious benefit is (of course) portability.

To this day I'm torn between the native vs. abstract GUI issue.  On one
hand, having your application look like and interoperate with with other
native applications on the user's desktop is extremely desireable.  On the
other hand, it isn't portable.  I vacillate between being a proponant of
one or the other constantly.

--- SER