Hello all,

I am a Java programmer and am attempting to learn Ruby.  What I have
seen so far, I really like.  I have been through two of the tutorials
linked to from the main site and read the Poignant Guide to Ruby.
However, when I refer to the actual documentation, I find it lacking ...
or maybe I'm just confused.  In many examples I have seen File.open used
but when I refer to the official documentation
(http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/) the 'open' method is not listed for the
File class.

After doing some digging, I think I understand that it is some kind of
alias to 'new' but how would I know that (if I'm even right).  Also, I
think File inherits from IO but I can't see in the documentation where
this is indicated.  Am I just looking at it all wrong?  Am I looking in
the wrong place?  Basically, I like the language but the documentation I
have seen appears to be lacking compared to the Java API.  Any help
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Paco