On Nov 15, 2006, at 9:26 , Michael Glaesemann wrote:

> On Nov 15, 2006, at 0:55 , Jan Svitok wrote:
>
>> - postgres from the listing seems to have compiled extension. Check
>> whether it is indeed compiled - you'll have postgres.so somewhere in
>> the dir. If it's not there look for info how to setup build
>> environment
>
> This is very helpful. I hadn't thought to check this. I can see
> that there *is* a postgres.o on the system that works, but it's
> missing on the system that doesn't. This gives me something to pursue.

I was able to install the postgres bindings by explicitly calling

sudo ruby extconf.rb --with-pgsql-lib-dir=/usr/local/lib/ --with-
pgsql-include-dir=/usr/local/include
sudo make
sudo make install

Passing those same compilation flags through gem didn't work and I'm
not sure why.

sudo gem install postgres -- --with-pgsql-lib-dir=/usr/local/lib/ --
with-pgsql-include-dir=/usr/local/include

No errors were thrown; the source just didn't get compiled

Thanks again, Jan, for your help!

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net