--- Mark Hahn <mchahn / facelink.com> wrote:
> I don't know what FLTK 2.0 will offer, but I have been
> considering implementing some standard Java layout
managers in
> Ruby and even one new exotic manager I've been
considering.

That would be great!

> Since I can position any widget using absolute
coordinates, I
> assume I should have no problem at the FLTK interface
doing
> this, right?

Right...as long as you can figure out how to handle the
negotiation of desired/max/min size. I'm not familiar with
layout manager internals. Actually, if Ruby/FLTK could just
have hbox and vbox as powerful as GTK, I'd be happy for my
own uses.

> In effect, I want to move some of the FLTK functionality
up into
> Ruby.

That also sounds great. I started to do that a bit with the
ListBox class (but it's not a very good start, I'm afraid).

> The toolkit I'd REALLY like to have is a all-Ruby gui
> like Swing in Java  (but simpler and keeping with Ruby
> philosophy).  I would imagine one could port another
framework
> into Ruby in a short period of time.

Me too! One of my thoughts was that FLTK was cross platform
and pretty low level, so it might be a good starting point.
You're going to have to have _some_ library of C/C++ code
below Ruby, so you
could just rely on the primative parts of FLTK and roll the
rest yourself. I would be interested in contributing to
such a project.

Kevin