Paul Lutus wrote:
> ara.t.howard / noaa.gov wrote:
>
> / ...
>
>>> You cannot do this.
>>
>> why not?
>>
>>    harp:~ > ruby -e'  ENV["VAR"] = 42.to_s;  system "env|grep VAR"  '
>>    VAR=42
>>
>> the environment is definitely shared.  did i mis-understand?
>
> My reply was based on his diagrammed effort to use one system call to
> refer
> to another system call:
>
>>> if i use (in ruby app:)
>>> system(" RSWF_C=1; export RSWF_C" )
>
>>> is this available to all other scripts called from this
>>> master ruby script?
>
> The answer is obvious, and I provided it.
>
> If instead his goal can be met by setting ENV variables within Ruby,
> then
> that solves the problem. But before suggesting this, I asked that the OP
> first explain what he is trying to do.

Gee, I thought it was quite obvious that he was trying to export a shell
variable.  Was it not at least somewhat obvious to you?  His first
paragraph was relatively straightforward about that.  Anyways, my point
is that you probably could've just gone ahead and given him the answer
-- it would've added a mere 20 chars (max) to your post and been at
least 100 times more helpful.  I dread the day when all of the Ruby hype
turns this community into the elitist/hostile environment that exists
for so many other languages.