On 11/24/06, Paul Lutus <nospam / nosite.zzz> wrote:

> I thin it would be better if we stepped back about ten paces. Please say
> what your goal is. Is it to produce a presentable HTML version of plain
> text?
>
> I ask because you are trying to use a Ruby package named RedCloth, whose
> purpose it is to convert ordinary text into presentable text, by way of ...
> Textile, whose purpose it is to convert ordinary text into presentable
> text, by way of ... HTML, whose purpose is to make presentable text out of
> ordinary text.
>
> Not surprisingly, given this baroquely complex series of filters and layers:
>
> > ... I came
> > across a few unexpected features...

Sheesh.  What's with the unabashed library hating lately? =)

He stated his problem adequately.  He wanted something like this:

    <pre>a*=2</pre>
    <pre>b*=2</pre>

and got something like this,

instead.

> I would have been surprised if you had _not_ encountered such
> inconsistencies or "features" in such a complex scheme.
>
> So again, please say what the disease is, not the remedy. Let's try to work
> from there.

He needs textile to be rendered correctly. That IS the problem.  See
his sumission to the last rubyquiz.

> >  Can I fix these by setting rules in the to_html call, or are these bugs?

Sorry Adam, I'm not really sure.  I've only used Markdown.

> The only bug I see is the sheer complexity of the overall scheme.

No, the concept is actually rather simple.  It's a minimal markup
language that exists because typing html by hand sucks.

--
Lou.